May 27, 2012

Musician Again!

I started playing music again.  
I haven't picked up my guitar for anything beyond random plucking for over 8 years.  I haven't played a live show in almost 9.  
Myk Parsons has a group that he's been playing with for about a year.  A 4-piece with 2 guitars, a bass and drummer.  All acoustic.  One of his guitarists moved down to L.A. recently, and he asked me to sit in for a show that they had scheduled.  I picked up the bass and started practicing - had blisters by the end of the first day that are still popping and hardening.  The music consists of the songs that Myk wrote back in high school and a handful of covers that I'm not familiar with.  And I've never really been a bass player.  I played bass for the Phirocious Allstars in high school because no one else wanted to, then immediately switched back to guitar with Free Sample in college.
But I love to play!  
And I especially enjoy the adult time I get away from the house about once every week or two when I head over to Nick's for practice.  The new tradition is bringing a grab-bag of brew to each practice for something new and different (although Nick brews his own beer, and the Porter he has on tap at the moment is especially delicious).
This last Christmas, Kendall & Nicole gave Taryn & me something called Chimay.  I'd never heard of it, but it was fantastic when we tried it.  It's a beer brewed by Trappist Monks, using a famous recipe they created in the 1800's.  Delicious.    
Last practice's grab-bag consisted of the Premiere, the Cinq Cents, and the Grand Reserve.


When I joined, there were 8 original songs, with a 9th in the works.  Well, since picking up the guitar again, the juices have really started flowing (plus I found a kindred spirit in Will).  There are now 5 brand new songs just waiting for vocals to finish them off, plus another 7 waiting in the wings for Will & I to complete the progressions and arrangements.
Fun!
There are shows scheduled for later this summer, and I'm sure I'll get a few pictures and videos to post later.

2 comments:

TEAM LINDSAY said...

Mmmm Chimay. One of Jay's favs.

Glad you're back to playing again. Doing something for yourself, especially something you love, is as important as the "everythings" you do for your family. You deserve it!

Anonymous said...

Phirocious Allstars! I saw you guys playing in a California convention center in 97 or 98, during a high school trip. I bought a copy of your album and I'm listening to it now. Thanks for the music and the memory :-) Rich M.