Jan 26, 2011

Guitar Lessons

Eli has always been interested in Daddy's guitars. Even as a newborn, I would pick up my Samick and play for him, singing eveything from Bob Marley to Bad Religion. As he got older, he started wanting to mimick me, so I would sit him in my lap and hold the chords as I let him strum and pluck the strings.
I harbor this dream that one day he'll pick up one of my old guitars and learn to play better than I ever did - then provide the high vocal harmonies and solos for me. We'll record it on my Pro Tools (it's gonna happen). He's discovered that he especially likes my picks, and used to steal them from me in the hopes that I would chase him around the house to get them back. But he's learned that we don't run away with them, instead, we use them to plink the strings, which he does until he drops it into the hole with a big "uh oh!" He thinks it's hilarious how Daddy has to turn his guitar upside-down and shake it out.
He's now at the point were he'll sing "ah goodah da digah da gooah" as he strums away.
I bought Eli's cousin James a pint-sized guitar while we were visiting for Thanksgiving two years ago. I'm not sure where he's at as far as interest and skill, but Uncle Davey will always be here for him. Hopefully someday the two of them can learn to harmonize with each other (even if it has to be done over Skype).
Maybe they'll learn to play "Parachute" by Guster or something.
It's a great song.



No comments: